With the New Year upon us, we are often thinking about how we can improve or what we would like to do differently this year. At zazen Water, our goal is to help you live a longer, healthier life and we understand that there are 5 key things you must do to live a longer, healthier life. These 5 things are:
1. Hydrate – with a high quality alkaline mineral water
The right quality and quantity of water is foundational for the prevention of and recovery from disease and illness. zazen Alkaline Water will hydrate you immediately at a cellular level and will support an increase in energy and vitality and can support a whole health strategy for a longer, healthier life.
The benefits of being hydrated include:
- Natural regular detoxification
- Improved skin conditions
- Better mood
- Higher quality of sleep
- Enhanced absorption of nutrients from food
- Reduced muscle aches and pains
- Improved joint health
- Gut issues can be alleviated
- Increase in energy
- No dehydration-induced headaches
- Ability to think more clearly for longer
2. Eat – 80% alkalising, 20% acid forming foods
- Vegetables: Broccoli, spinach, cabbage, fermented vegetables, cucumber, sprouts, wheatgrass and kale
- Fruits: Grapefruit, rockmelon, avocado, lemon and lime
- Nuts, seeds and oils: Almonds, chia and pumpkin seeds, olive, flax and coconut oil
- Drinks: Apple-cider vinegar, kombucha and of course, zazen Water.
Foods that contribute most to acidity include:
- Processed and sugary foods
- Cold cuts and conventional meats
- Caffeinated drinks and alcohol
- Pasta, rice, bread and packaged grain products
3. Move – raise your heart rate
Many people focus on the cardiovascular and weight loss benefits of exercise, but there’s far more. Exercise can make you look and feel younger in a number of ways. It can help you to be more flexible, sleep better and lower your risk of chronic disease. Exercise increases circulation and blood flow to your skin, which means its receiving a fresh dose of oxygen and nutrients. This promotes overall skin health while helping to heal wounds.
4. Breathe – be still & rest
A great technique to help elevate your thoughts is the practice of mindfulness, which is a means of actively paying attention to the moment you’re in right now by maintaining an internal rather than external focus. Rather than letting your mind roam free, when you’re mindful you’re tuned into the present moment inside yourself versus focused on your racing thoughts about external circumstances.
Aside from helping you harness an internal sense of strength to go after what you want in life, including a more positive, happier mental state, mindfulness can also help reduce stress-induced inflammation. Simple techniques such as the following can help you to become more mindful:
- Pay focused attention to an aspect of sensory experience, such as the sound of your own breathing
- Distinguish between simple thoughts and those coloured by emotion (such as “I have a performance review tomorrow,” versus “What if I get a bad review and don’t get the raise I need?”)
- Reframe emotional thoughts as simply “mental projections” so your mind can rest
5. Feel – happy & be grateful
How to Cultivate an Attitude of Gratitude
Like a muscle, your sense of gratitude can be strengthened with practice. One way to harness the positive power of gratitude is to keep a gratitude journal where you write down what you’re grateful for each day. It is said that gratitude can actually alter your brain in a number of positive ways, and can help with the following:
- Improving physical health by having a general pain-lowering effect, lowering inflammation and blood sugar, improving immune function, blood pressure and heart health and encouraging general self-care
- Increase happiness and life satisfaction by lowering stress and emotional distress
- Improve emotional resiliency, which also helps combat stress and anxiety
- Improve mental health by triggering the release of antidepressant and mood-regulating chemicals such as serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine and oxytocin, while inhibiting the stress hormone cortisol
- Improve sleep, which can have far-reaching benefits for physical and mental health
What are your 2018 health goals?
To help you achieve your 2018 health and wellness goals, we have created a poster for you to print out with the ‘5 things you must do to live a longer, healthier life’ and also a blank page for you to fill in your own health goals for 2018 under each section. You can give yourself a score out of 10 relating to where you feel you are currently at in each of these 5 key areas, and where could you improve?
Click here to download your ‘5 things I will do to live a longer, healthier life’ poster.
Wishing you a Healthy, Happy & Hydrated 2018!
Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment that can be provided by your physician, therapist, licensed dietician or nutritionist, or any other health care professional. It is for educational and informational purposes only.