Did you know that your body is 75% water? When we teach the kids our Water Ambassador lessons as part of our school program, we tell them this, and go on to tell them they aren't 75% juice, or 75% milk, only 75% water! Maybe for adults, the equivalent is tea/coffee and wine/beer for the drinkers! So it makes sense that the liquid we drink the most is water. And water in our tea, coffee and fruit juice unfortunately doesn't count – only straight water! So why is replacing this water so important?
We have summarised below 10 reasons why drinking good water daily is so important!
- Water is absolutely essential to the human body’s survival. A person can live for about a month without food, but only about a week without water.
- Water helps to maintain healthy body weight by increasing metabolism and regulating appetite.
- Water leads to increased energy levels. The most common cause of daytime fatigue is actually mild dehydration.
- Drinking adequate amounts of water can decrease the risk of certain types of cancers, including colon cancer, bladder cancer, and breast cancer.
- For a majority of sufferers, drinking water can significantly reduce joint and/or back pain.
- Water leads to overall greater health by flushing out wastes and bacteria that can cause disease.
- Water can prevent and alleviate headaches.
- Water naturally moisturises skin and ensures proper cellular formation underneath layers of skin to give it a healthy, glowing appearance.
- Water aids in the digestion process and helps prevent constipation.
- Water is the primary mode of transportation for all nutrients in the body and is essential for proper circulation.