Spring Clean Your Body: How Does A Salt Flush Work & What You Should Know
Give your body a spring detox with a simple 'salt flush' cleanse using zazen Water and Himalayan or Celtic Salt.
Just as we add unnecessary clutter to our homes over the cooler winter months and often feel so much better with a spring clean, imagine starting spring with a body spring clean.
Did you know that we can have as much as 3-10 kilos of poo (fecal matter) inside our body at any given time!
This depends on your diet of course!
A wonderfully simple way to do a body spring clean is using the zazen Water & Salt cleanse, read on for the recipe. I do this cleanse a couple of times a year.
You can listen to our friends on The Wellness Couch podcast – Damien Kristof (Chiropractor, Naturopath & Nutritionist) & Marcus Pearce discuss Marcus’ attempt at his first salt flush. He shares his experience(s); there may be some details you don’t want to know, however there’s plenty to learn (and some serious laughs to be had) about digestive health…
You can listen to the 23 minute podcast here.
What you will need:
- Pink Himalayan salt or Celtic salt – 1 tablespoon (level only – no more)
- zazen Water – approx. 3 litres
- 1 litre jug or bottle
- Kettle to boil water
How to perform the Salt Flush:
- Dissolve 1 level tablespoon of either Himalayan or Celtic Salt into a cup of boiling zazen Alkaline Water.
- Now add this hot cup of salted water to make a litre of zazen Water and stir.
- Now take a couple of deep breaths and prepare yourself to drink the whole amount as quickly as possible (this is very important) – it’s not natural because it tastes salty we know... and you may try to resist, however persevere!
- Wait 15 minutes, then you start to drink over the next 2 hours another 2 litres of zazen Alkaline Water – this is really important! The first litre will soften and get the bowel ready to evacuate and now this step will actually flush the bowel and colon.
A couple of rules:
- Allow 4 -5 hours (ideally a Saturday or Sunday morning) – definitely not before a work day!
- Wear underwear! Accidents can happen!
- Only do this cleanse when you are not going out ANYWHERE and you are close to a toilet.
- Have plenty of toilet paper.
- If you feel an “urge” any urge – go straight to the toilet! Trust us you will thank us for this piece of advice.
Once you have completed the cleanse it is important to help rebalance your body... drink a glass of green powdered juice or drink a fresh vegetable juice. Eat an avocado or some coconut oil for energy.
Why do we use Himalayan Salt or Celtic Salt not processed table salt?
Healthy Versus Unhealthy Salt
When you do use salt, make sure its unrefined and minimally processed. One of our personal favorites is Himalayan pink salt, rich in naturally occurring trace minerals needed for healthy bones, fluid balance and overall health. The same cannot be said for modern table salt.
Salt is a nutritional goldmine provided you consume the right kind. Salt provides two elements — sodium and chloride — that are essential for life (and in your drinking water so it can hydrate you!). Your body cannot make these elements on its own, so you must get them from your diet or in your water.
Some of the many biological processes for which natural salt is crucial include:
- Being a major component of your blood plasma, lymphatic fluid, extracellular fluid and even amniotic fluid.
- Carrying nutrients into and out of your cells and helping maintain your acid-base balance.
- Helping your brain communicate with your muscles so that you can move on demand via sodium-potassium ion exchange.
- Maintaining and regulating blood pressure.
Natural salt typically contains 84 percent sodium chloride and 16 percent naturally-occurring trace minerals, including silicon, phosphorous and vanadium. Processed (table) salt, on the other hand, contains over 97 percent sodium chloride; the rest is man-made chemicals such as moisture absorbents and flow agents. A small amount of iodine may also be added.
The Salt in zazen Alkaline Water – hydrating you at a cellular level!
In the zazen Alkaline Water System - the ‘Alkaline’ is actually referring to the ‘salts’ (aka alkaline minerals) that are available in zazen Water. These salts create the ‘Alkaline’ in zazen Water and are used by the body to absorb zazen Water, enabling immediate cellular hydration; the follow on benefits from being hydrated include the benefits detailed above and also include:
- Increased energy and vitality
- Release of toxins
- Clarity of thought
- Improved general wellbeing
Click here to read more on What are the Benefits of Electrolytes (Alkaline Minerals) in Drinking Water?
The right quality & quantity of Water is your body’s foundational nutrient supporting every bodily function. zazen Alkaline water is in the perfect balance and structure to support peak cellular hydration, which is the key to the prevention of and recovery from illness and disease.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment that can be provided by your physician, therapist, licensed dietician or nutritionist, or any other health care professional. It is for educational and informational purposes only.